Thursday, January 25, 2007

From the First Chapter of Romans

“The longer this waiting goes on the deeper the ache”

Romans 1:8-12 (The Message)

I really related to this verse this morning when I read it! True, it is written by the Apostle Paul to the church in Rome, but it rings true for me as well.

The rest of the verse brought to mind this adoption journey as well:

“I so want to be there to deliver God's gift in person and watch you grow stronger right before my eyes! But don't think I'm not expecting to get something out of this, too! You have as much to give me as I do to you.”

When I started out down this road in was in some sense for a “selfish” reason. I love children and had longed for many years to adopt an orphan from another country. However, as I have learned more about adoption and orphanages I have truly come to see the “plight” of the orphans world wide. I’m waiting to adopt older children and there are so many that have so little hope of a family life and home. There is so much loneliness and lack of a bright future. I have noticed more than once the change of expression in the older children after they are brought home. It is as though, for the first time, they “belong”.

Of course I will “get something” out of adoption. Children! Children to love, to plan a future with, to laugh with and to cry with. But my children will also “get something” : Me (a mom), a dad, brothers and sisters, a family life, a future and a hope.

And lastly, I really look forward to sharing my faith with my children. To introduce them to God, if they have not met Him already. "To deliver God's gift in person and watch 'them' grow stronger right before my eyes!"

1 comment:

Ann said...

you guys have such a great family. It seems that you always help eachother out. You never seem selfish in any way as I see things. I don't think wanting a child in any was could be considered selfish. The children you receive into your family are going to be so lucky(yes, as are you) But your family bond seems so strong I think these children will be abundantly blessed.