Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Mingtian (Tomorrow)

Tomorrow morning I leave for Taiwan! I'm flying out at 6am, and I'll arrive in Taipei on Thursday at 5pm, Taiwan time (Thursday 5am our time.) From the airport I am taking a train to Kaohsiung in the south of the country where I'll be met by someone from Christian Mountain Children's Home. (http://www.twcmch.org/history.htm). I will spend 2 weeks
volunteering there. From an e-mail from a social worker at the orphanage I heard about a team that is currently there, "They teach English, Songs, bible studies and gardening etc...I think by time you're arrival , we would like you to join their work, and to live with the team girls, for we don't have extra room and since they could speak both English and Chinese, so that might be easier for you to learn about our Home and kids. About your questions, here are the answers: We have 7 children age from 3-6, and 44 of elementary school, 28 of junior-high school."


After my 2 weeks at the orphanage, I will head back to Taipei where I will stay with Yvonne Sung and her 2 daughters. From Yvonne's e-mail, "After you are back from orphanage, 4-5 families will take turns to invite you joining their family activities and/or visit Taipei city spots (like National Palace Museum) during the daytime . Back to my house in the evening. Most of the families are Christians, they like to invite you to share/exchange experience with their family members about cross-culture information and languages."

I'm really looking forward to my experience. I should be able keep you updated while I'm there on some of the things I'm doing!

I have a few prayer requests to share.
1. Christian Mountain Children's Home has a choir that travels every year. This summer they are travelling to Shiang-Hai and Wen-Jou, China, as well as the US and Canada. Pray for safe travels for them and that God would belss many through their ministry.

2. Pray for opportunities for me to share God's heart for adoption with some of the families I meet. Culturally, adoption is not very well accepted in Taiwan, and there is a possibility I may be able to share at a church about why my fmaily is adopting. It would be very awesome if God would use me to open people's minds and hearts to orphans.

3. Pray for safe travels for me. I'm a little nervous as I've never travelled so far before.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Have a safe trip. I thinks it's awesome that you are so involved not only with your family, but with such greater things in our world. You are such an example of a wonderful, caring, young woman. I can't wait to see all that you experience and learn.