Sunday, May 24, 2009

Our last day in Taiwan!

After a trip back to Jonah House to visit with Sarah-Grace's foster family, we headed into the streets around Jonah House with Sarah-Grace as our guide.  We headed down a little tiny narrow alley running between people's backyards and the backs of businesses- I was pretty sure we were the first foreigners to take that route.  We were in search of a restaurant that a friend of ours from Taiwan recommended.  Sarah-Grace knew the restaurant we were talking about and we found it. It was a beautiful setting with tables out in a courtyard with fountains and lots of plants.  Apparently the area is popular with tourists, but definitely Taiwanese tourists, because the staff there did not speak English and the menu was only in Chinese characters.  Sarah-Grace ordered a vegetable for us, and a dish that we had no idea what it was (it turned out to be really yummy shrimp and pineapples) and my Mom ordered the tofu that our friend David recommended (she knew what it was since he told her what it cost and it was the only thing with that price on the menu!).  Then, I had a long conversation with 2 different people about beef.  I'm not really sure what the conversation was about since it was all in Chinese. I know they asked if I wanted it spicy and i said no, other than that, I'm not really sure what else they were asking.  I wasn't even sure if I ordered it in the end, or if I ended up canceling my order.  I must have left them with the impression that I wanted it though, since they brought it out and it was delicious.

The river runs through town just a block or so away from Jonah House

The restaurant we ate at.
We were souvenir hunting at the little shops along the street.  We found some gifts for the boys and some snacks to share with my parents' Bible study group.
Brick construction in Taiwan!

After lunch we met Penny and her daughter (who Sarah-Grace was friends with) at a science museum.  There was a temporary "exhibit" which was really rooms full of blow up bouncy toys and the girls had a blast playing there until closing time.





My Mom bought them matching bears with sun glasses in different colors to remember each other by.  They really liked the bears and thought the sunglasses were fun.

That evening we went out for dinner with Penny, her daughter, and Maria, Sarah-Grace's former social worker.  She has since stopped working at Jonah House, but she wanted a chance to say good-bye.
Sarah- Grace with Maria

Over Easter we invited a Taiwanese student from Penn State to visit with us.  I somehow ran out of time and never posted Easter pictures to our blog.  :(  But, at any rate, while we were in Taipei, her sister drove up from Tainan to visit with us.  She and some other family members took us out to the night market.  It was fun for all of us.  I love the busyness of night markets, and the number of different crazy snacks for sale.  Someday I have to be brave enough and hungry enough when I'm in Taiwan to get an octopus on a stick.  We stuck to milk tea, games, and bag hunting while we were out.  







No comments: