Friday, February 15, 2008

They're Home!



Wow, I thought this day would never come, but it is here. Kai Wei is curled up on the couch with the rest of the family, watching "Mousetrap". We just asked him if he wants to watch or sleep- it's been a long day for him. He barely slept on the plane at all, so he's been going non-stop since last night at 7. But, the suggestion of sleep brought a determined "no,no!"

He hit it off with his brothers right away- while we were waiting on the luggage he showed them "lao hu" (his tiger) and his Taiwan money. Then he enlisted Jonathan's help to collect the luggage, which he recognized.



He was excited by the snow when he saw it out the window and when we were getting close to home he pointed at the houses and asked if they were ours. He commented that they were so big! He told us he bought us presents and they were in his luggage. He was excited to give them to us.



We finally got home where even the little bit of snow we still had on the ground was enough to be exciting. He made his first snowball and then pretended to throw it at Jonathan, but hesitated. I assured him that he could and soon the boys were throwing snowballs back and forth, until poor Kai Wei's hands were frozen.



Once the boys were good and cold we headed inside, where Kai Wei was excited to look around. He eventually asked where his room was, so we took him upstairs. He was so cute up there, excited by the flying monkeys that all the boys including him have, and the little basketball hoop they have hung on the door. He was even jumping up and down a bit he was so excited. We gave him a tour of the rest of the house.

The rest of the evening has been a blast. It's been so fun to see him so animated and excited and happy. IT's hard to believe the quiet shy boy I met this summer at Jonah House is the same little boy who has been running around our house all evening. He is so silly and creative and fun-loving. We've been having nerf gun battles and the refrain "wo si ding le" (I'm so dead) or "ni si ding le" (You are dead!) have been ringing through the house as he either corners someone out of darts or he runs out of darts. He got no end of fun over sneaking up on various members of the house, siblings as backup support, to shoot the gun at them. He and Rebecca and Tim all snuck up on me while I was doing the dishes, and then I followed them as they crawled into the sunroom to shoot Mom who was talking to her sister on the phone. The funniest thing is his running commentary in CHinese, most of which I don't understand. He was even singing about...well, who knows what. Probably how he was winning and was going to get us all. He just thinks its the funniest things when he sneaks up on someone and hits them with a dart. I told him "wo yao wan" (I want to play) and he responded so quickly, giving me a dart gun so I could play too!




After dinner he wanted to get his balloons to lift things so we found a dog bone. It was so funny watching him call the dog over, let her start biting the bone, then let the balloons go and the bone was lifted into the air. Holly jumped for the bone, but after a few times, she gave up.




He ate with chopsticks during dinner and accidently poured a LOT of salt on his food, which he didn't like at all. Apparently Kai Wei ate everything with pepper when he was in Taiwan, so my Dad brought over the pepper and once he had sprinkled it on his food, he reluctantly tried his chicken. (He was happy with the rice and spinach, but tried to feed his chicken to everyone else at the table). Then, my Dad brought up the 1 foot tall hot pepper mill and his whole face lit up. He sprinkled it on the ckicken, and then pronounced it "hao chi!" (delicious).

THis evening has been a blast, and I can't wait for the days that follow and getting to know my precious and hysterical didi.

6 comments:

aimee said...

Hi everyone!

This is all so exciting! I think I have become addicted to your blog. I am constantly checking for new updates on your family! I can't wait to meet my new cousin! How exciting that he is finally here!

Love,
Aimee

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you all. So happy he is HAPPY. Congratulations!


Jan

Mom 2 six said...

How wonderful !!!!!
Congrats to your family.

Jaclyn said...

Hey Guys, I am so happy for you I have tears in my eyes. It's so nice to see he is happy and not scared. God is so good!
Jaclyn

Lisa said...

WOW

Congratulations on your new addition to your family.

He is so very handsome. Good Luck to you all.

Can't wait for your daughter/sister to get home now safe and sound.

Lisa

Deborah said...

I'm so excited!!!!
I hope I get to meet him when I'm out to visit.
Praying for your family in all it's changing raucousness!
Love,
~Deborah